[CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R with KENWOOD Radios +++

Gerry Hull windev at inetmarket.com
Sun Jan 23 09:39:23 EST 2005

Guys,

I've been messing with the band-decoder/radio switching issue for some time.
Depending on which contest software you use, it's a pretty simple problem to
solve, no matter what brand/age of radio you are using.
If your radio can get frequency information to the contest software, and you
can get that frequency information, then a band
Decoder becomes a trivial matter.

I use Writelog.   It takes one line of visual basic code to get the current
frequency from the application.  Two lines if you want the frequencies of
both radios.

Once you have the frequency, then you can drive any number of parallel-port
or serial port relay boxes by creating a decision tree based on frequency.
My favorite is the K108 --- RS-232 to 8 SPDT relays.  In non-kit form,
avaiilable for $60 -- or cheaper if you search the net... Here is one link:
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/QK108A

There are lots of people who make the same thing for USB, if that's what you
prefer.  In fact, there is a Vectronics USB Experimenters kit for under $20
which gives you 8 transistor saturated-switch outputs.

If you want to do a little work, you CAN get band decoding without buying a
bunch of expensive gear.

If people are interested, I'll publish some relay driver code on my web
site.

73,

Gerry, W1VE