[CQ-Contest] HQ station thing

K3BU@aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 10:43:55 EDT 2005

Howdy serious contesters.

With the proliferation of HQ station multipliers I am just wondering about
the "wiseness" of the idea.
Let me elaborate. HQ stations count as multipliers, so there is a big desire
to have each country/society have their rep on during IARU. This is means,
those who can master the troops, fire up Multi-Multi style with CW/phone teams on
each band. This also means that there are lots of kW+ signals covering the
bands, mostly CQing.
The net result is bands piled wall to wall with big "multiplier" signals
CQing their heads off.
This was especially noticeable to us poor souls in WRTC Slovenia, where we
tried between lightning strikes and crashes, shutdowns, to find the spot and get
some runs, only to be clobbered by the perpetual CQs from the HQers.
This situation is especially pronounced in Europe and on low bands, where
there is no escape. (Any comments from Eu QRP gallery?)
In the rest of the remote world it is not as pronounced due to lower density
of the societies on the low bands.
I know we are trying to spice our boring contesting, HQ idea is in a way
different, but I think it might snowball into mostly serious HQ station's contest.
I just thought I bring it up with 2005 IARU and soon WRTC in Brazil, to pay
attention to the situation, see if it is a concern, maybe there are ways to
improve on it.
Wouldn't Tesla Cup with its "ideal" rules be a better venue?

Yuri, S561C