[CQ-Contest] 40m Woodpecker during IARU

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jul 13 22:14:24 EDT 2005

VK2CZ reported:

>I also encountered the surface wave radar here in Sydney near the start
>of the contest between 7040~7090, and just kept calling CQ over it..
>around 10minutes later it was off..  The old Russian woodpecker (years
>ago) behaved in the same way... it was possible to QRM it and annoy the
>operators enough so they'd vacate..    There also seems to be a related
>source peaking on 6995 (6950~7040ish) too - and that can be very strong
>at times.

I suspect that was coincidental.  It's louder here & doesn't seem to take
notice of my presence before firing up, or my firing up after it had already
been on.  "Ditting" doesn't seem to phase it, unlike the original
Woodpecker.

You will find this new one all over - from 6.5 to up near 7.5 Mc, in bits
here & there, often moving around - if it isn't heard within 7.0-7.1 Mc then
it's bound to be found somewhere else at that time.  It's typically around
70 kc wide, but I have heard it as wide as about 120 kc.

It does seem to have calmed down a bit, which is coincidental with some
military exercises in this region that jived with a patch of hyper-QRV.

Please, more QSNs that include QTF (where possible) & any additional
information to establish if this intruder was causing harmful interference
to the operation of your licensed amateur station.

There are also reports of another around 28760 kc with QTF suggesting
similar source, but from a different QTH.

73, VR2BrettGraham