[CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Jul 15 19:43:29 EDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 12:02 AM, KE5CTY Bob wrote:

> I have found out that the FT-1000MP seems to be the most used rig
> by the
> top contest stations. (Big Guns) And that most all have 2 or more
> towers
> at 100 feet or better along with commercial grade mono band
> antennas and
> phased switchable tower arrays for the lower bands, back up amps, ect.
> Ect

That sounds accurate, although there are some variations.

> Also discovered they normally use N1MM networked logging software for
> controlling the stations rotors, rigs, band changes spotting ect.

CT, NA and TR have historically been more prevalent, although there's
a lot of WriteLog and N1MM about.

> Why does the Yaesu seem to be the preferred rig when after all these
> years (since 1965) I have always heard that Signal One, Collins, and
> mostly Icom were the best rigs (best dynamic range, best filtering and
> most reliable over time) to get and that Yaesu was ok for the low
> budget
> but not preferred (money being no object) even above Kenwood.

Collins was a top contender when rigs where hollow-state. When rigs
transitioned to solid-state, Kenwood and Icom were on top.
> Of what we call the top commercial rigs I have always heard the list
> from most to least desirable was Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu in that order
> with many others even above Icom when money is not an concern.

Kenwood blew their lead. The TS-930S was a great rig. The TS-940 made
some compromises for computer control. TS-950 made too many compromises.

At the same time as Kenwood blew it with the TS-950, Yaesu came out
with the FT-1000D, and later the 1000MP. These rigs had the right
balance of performance, features and cost to appeal to the contesting
crowd. This rig has now been through several revisions.

Ten-Tec has come up with a competitive rig with the Orion. Icom has
produced several versions of the IC-756, which is now competitive.
And there's always the IC-7800, which gives the Orion's performance
at three times the price....

> Even most MARS stations run Collins rigs.

That's because they last bought them in the 1960s....

> These "Top Guns" "Big Guns" ect - are fellows who obviously don't need
> to worry about cost so price is not a factor.

Think again. Not many guys are breaking down Icom's door to buy
IC-7800's.

> What is???
>
> Is there some sort of advertising campaign like with golf clubs that
> Yaesu offers these guys or have I heard wrong??

Yaesu just offered the right product with the right properties and
price at a time when the competition slacked off.

Me? I can't afford any of those big-gun rigs. I make do with an
Elecraft K2/100.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901