[CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718

George Harlem W1EBI w1ebi at lightband.com
Wed Jul 20 08:18:16 EDT 2005

I've used an FT-920 since returning to ham radio three years ago.  With
over 21K QSO's and a substantial portion of those DXing and contesting
with a pair of Carolina Windoms, I consider the 920 the frugal ham's
Mark V.  IMO, only the lack of dual rx and the 920's AF DSP vs. IF DSP
bring it's score to a 9.2 vs. the Mark V's 9.8 (very subjective
scoring!).  I have added an INRAD switchboard with 400Hz and 250Hz CW
filters and a 2.1kHz SSB filter to give the outstanding 920 receiver
even better selectivity, and if you can find a used 920 in good condx,
don't delay--buy it.  Then check the 920 group on Yahoo and read up on
LA0HV's additional motherboard mods to produce several more dB of
selectivity, and you will wind up with an awesome contesting radio.

George W1EBI