[CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Jul 27 22:59:16 EDT 2005

With all due respect, I wouldn't put as much faith in the banking and credit
systems as some around here seem to.

With identity theft dramatically on the rise, the day is not far off where
banks and other financial institutions will start using some sort of digital
signature.  Whether it comes from their own initiative, user demands, or
government regulation, it will come.

Besides... have you ever had an unauthorized electronic debit/transaction
from your checking account?  Just try and get your money back.  The attitude
of some of the banking people is that it's your fault for giving out your
electronic information all too readily, and never mind how much all of the
advertising pushes us to do just that.  My wife had an unauthorized debit
from her account a few years ago, and it was a real fight to get the money
back.  I'd go into boring detail, but I don't think it's really relevant to
the main point.  Suffice to say, it was a lot easier for the bank to process
the transaction than it was for us to finally get the money back.  And they
still wanted to stick us for all the bounce fees this caused, too... no, we
don't deal with that bank anymore...

Now, we can argue for hours as to whether or not LOTW security is tighter
than it needs to be (something I don't believe, by the way).  Be glad though
that it is there.

73