[CQ-Contest] 40m Woodpecker during IARU

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jul 27 23:56:26 EDT 2005

N7ZG replied to K8IA:

> >I just  received another followup e-mail from the OFTA people.  I'm not
> >sure
> >what to make of it other than to encorage other contesters to raise the
> >issue as well.
> >
> >73's
> >Guy Molinari,  N7ZG
> >
> >Guy...Where on the net do I go to lodge a complaint? During both  All Asian
> >and IARU Contests the 40m woodpecker was evident and loud. Wiped out  the
> >bottom 2-3 levels of JA's that are my 40m "bread and butter" here. Cost me
> >bigtime.
> >
> >My 3 el yagi (M2 40M3L) has it about 330 degrees or so  (+/-30). Yagi has a
> >good pattern, repeatable etc. I suspect it may be China in  origin. THAT
> >will
> >be a mess to get fixed.
> >
> >73, Bob  K8IA
>
>Just send a report of the interference to webmaster at ofta.gov.hk.
>Provide as much detail as possible, date, time, freq, beam heading,
>description of the signal.
>
>Sorry for not providing the email address in my posting.
>
>I suspect they may take notice of the reports of stateside hams.  One would
>hope that the ARRL is on top of this.

I just learned that our telecom authority has not been able to get a
bearing on this signal.  I first reported it a week or two before IARU -
after I was finally able to get a bearing on it myself - and I must say
it is a little frustrating this far along not to have something better to
report.

I was told this would be dealt with per the procedures, so it is likely
to fade off their radar screen if the harmful interference aspect is
not stressed & that means more complaints are needed than I am
aware of.  Not too long after I went to OFTA, one of the national
IARU member-society monitoring service coordinators concluded
the same, so the time is right to start making more noise.

73, VR2BrettGraham