[CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sun Jul 31 00:11:02 EDT 2005

Nodir,

This *may* have to do with penalties and whether the penalties are shown
deducted from the published total.

For example, I work 1000 QSOs and 100 multiplers, and have ten bad QSOs
which cause ten penalties.  Should the contest writeup show 990 QSOs or 980
QSOs for my score?

I do the logchecking for the ARRL 160 and ARRL 10 contests.  I have
discussed this with the ARRL contest manager N1ND and we have settled that
the line score should show the number of good QSOs you made.  However your
score is based on the QSO points from those QSOs minus the penalties of the
penalty QSOs.  In the example above, we would show 990 QSOs and 100
multipliers in the line score, but if QSOs were all one point apiece then
the score would be 98,000.

I am not a member of the CQWW committee so I would not presume to speak for
them.  There are several logical ways to look at this, but I do not know
how they chose to do it.

Dave/K8CC