[CQ-Contest] Visalia

Kevin J. Rowett krowett at rowett.org
Fri Jun 10 01:29:40 EDT 2005

I didn't say Visalia wasn't a great convention.  I said it needed help.

It's way overflowed the capacity of the Holiday Inn. It should be held in a venue that
can support the crowds.  Sounds a lot like what we are saying about Dayton - needs
a new venue.

For the record - I enjoy attending Visalia and will continue to attend.  I don't get a lot
of free time from work - every year I wonder why I spend the five hours driving
thru the central valley of California.  At the end of the convention, I always find
some reason that makes me glad that I did.

This year, that reason was the beaming smiles on faces as I handed them their
CQP award; the opportunity to meet folks that I'd worked during CQP; got to learn
their plans for CQP in 2005; what they liked about the contest; and what other
contesting they did.  This year, I got to shake the hand of someone I've worked
several times, emailed with, and bought equipment from, but, never met "eyeball
to eyeball".

Jim - I haven't been to the Visalia convention as faithfully as you.  However, I believe
it's only been in Fresno ONCE.  Am I correct?

MAL - I'm sorry you can't make it to Visalia - you'd enjoy it.

KR