[CQ-Contest] Moving "Dayton" around - an idea...

Roberts, Will will.roberts at pgnmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:02:01 EDT 2005

Scott speaketh the truth...

For many years, the only hamfest that I have been to is Dayton. It has
nothing to do with where it is geographically. I don't like the city of
Dayton much at all, and the Hara Arena even less. It has everything to
do with the social aspects of seeing friends and many of the major
players in the worldwide contesting "industry" at a single gathering. In
real life, I go to several major telecom trade shows annually and I find
that the change of scene as they move from city to city is refreshing
and keeps things interesting. Why couldn't we do the same thing with a
"The Worldwide Contesting/DXing Trade Show & Family Reunion" (formerly
known as Dayton in May)? Perhaps the major contest clubs could step up
and organize a rotating annual gathering like they have with the WRTC.
The recent PVRC Contest University was a reported big hit. Add in a
couple more days of forums, vendors showing their latest gizmos, taking
in some D.C. sightseeing/nightlife and you have a Washington
Contestfest. I'm sure the W5s would have no trouble drawing a crowd to a
Contestfest held in New Orleans, for example. Perhaps with prior
planning, a large group of contesters could descend on an existing
hamfest in an interesting place like Florida or Las Vegas. We could also
piggyback a Contestfest in conjunction with the ARRL National
Convention. I can think of so many great places to visit, yet we all
head to Dayton every May like a bunch of grumbling lemmings. I want
variety...

73,

Will Roberts AA4NC