[CQ-Contest] ICOM-amp. keying

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 13 15:21:00 EDT 2005

Hi list

Slightly off topic, but not presently subscribed to an ICOM reflector, so
please excuse.

I recently acquired an ICOM7400 ( =746PRO in U.S.A.), ostensibly for VHF,
but it seems to quite a nice HF rig, even for contest work. So I thought I
would install it as the left(=RUN) radio in the SO2R set up, to give it a
real work-out. So far so good, but I have a potential problem with
interconnection to my Alpha 78. The spec on the ICOM amp. switching is max.
16v at 500mA, an enormous current, but the Alpha measures 20 volts in key
up, which is above spec. of course.

I have previously switched the Alpha from both an FT1000MP and a TS870 with
no trouble, but don't want to take any chances. So I wonder, has anyone
already done what I am proposing, and found it to be safe, or otherwise? I
wonder what the 756PRO spec. is in this regard, of which there must be a lot
in use. Info. appreciated.

73

Clive
GW3NJW