[CQ-Contest] IC-746PRO -- evil incarnate or not?

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Mar 7 08:37:09 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Valeri Stefanov wrote:

> Kelly,
>
> If you have TS850S with at least 500Hz CW filter - KEEP IT.
> Nothing in this price group can beat TS850 as a contest radio.
> I have an IC746 with all filters since 2000. It is not better than 850.
> Another radio you may consider is FT990, but 850 beats this one ,too :-).
>
> I have at present two TS850S and one IC 746 (not PRO).
> In my humble opinion the next improvement after 850 would be only 950SDX,
> but this is another price class radio.
>
> 73 Wally LZ2CJ

I have to agree with that.  They go for around $700 - $900 in this area,
which is very reasonable. I got mine for $900 but it was owned by a
non-smoker and was (and still is) in absolutely mint condition and had the
500 Hz CW filters and DRU-1 memory keyer unit installed.

A couple years ago someone had two TS-850's for sale for $650 each but
they had mods done to make them transceivers for 6 and 2 meters.  This
involved removing the final amp asssembly.  Again, I'm sure they were
outstanding transceivers for VHF.  I myself use external transverters
sometimes, along with the Down East Microwave transverter interface for
the 850, which involves no mods to the radio itself.

73, Zack W9SZ