[CQ-Contest] $1000 receiver performance

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 7 20:04:10 EST 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Scott R. wrote:

>> Kelly,
>
>> If you have TS850S with at least 500Hz CW filter - KEEP IT.
>> Nothing in this price group can beat TS850 as a contest radio.
>
> Ten-Tec Omni-VI does.  These can be had in the used in the $1000-$1100
> range.  Plenty of independent test data available on the Internet about
> the Omni-VI vs. other transceivers for contest RX performance.

As I read it, the TS-850 has better Blocking dynamic range (130-140
dB), which is noise-limited on the Omni-VI (123 dB). The TS-850 also
has better IMDDR (99-100 dB) than the Omni-VI (97-98 dB). These results
based on the ARRL Lab tests as published in QST.

Nevertheless, both are excellent rigs for contest use.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901