[CQ-Contest] $1000 receiver performance

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Mar 9 11:23:20 EST 2005

W4PA added:

>I'll say this apologetically, politely, but there is no way a
>TS850S-class radio stacks up to an Omni-VI under contest conditions.

Omni-VI's EMC makes it hard to use in "warm" RF environment.
Absence of bypass caps on rear panel connectors is hard to
understand.

DSP makes birdies that vary with PBT & degrades with temperature.

Instead of fixing, radio was bought back by factory despite demo of
problems by not-exactly-cheap IDD & sending spec-an plots showing
the birdies.

My Omni-VI was not good.  I would take a 520 over one any day &
performance would be chalk & cheese, matey.

Perhaps built on Friday afternoon?  Interesting to see these one-off
exceptions to comments posted here on a number of radios.

73, 9M6BrettGraham