[CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb cluster spot analysis

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 18:59:55 EST 2005

It needs to be pointed out that only a portion of
the data in these regular "cluster spot analysis"
summaries (possibly) represent any kind of rule violation -
the self spotting sections, and the evidence there
is not conclusive in any of the listed cases.

For whatever reason, a station might disguise his
identity when spotting, say, his brother's station or
his club's station on DX Summit. Unless he was an operator
at that station in that contest, there has been no rules
violation, despite the originating IP address being in
the same country or region as the spotted station.

It's all interesting evidence, and some of it makes you
go "Hmmmmm....". With additional evidence, some of it
*might* be part of a case for contest DQ, but alone it
fails to make a case.

As for the data listed at the top of the report, being
spotted a lot, or spotting one station a lot (assuming
you are not a part of that operation) are not violations
of the rules in any contest.

73,  Jeff   K8ND