[CQ-Contest] Fw: W7RM (SK)

GARY ELLIOT K7OX at MSN.COM
Sun Mar 13 18:49:26 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: GARY ELLIOT<mailto:K7OX at MSN.COM>
To: cq-contesting at contesting.com<mailto:cq-contesting at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:28
Subject: W7RM (SK)

In 1971 during the ARRL DX Test, I was doing a multi-single contest from my home.  My call then was  KH6HCM, along with KH6GMP and KH6DD (SK) we were running W's hot and heavy on 15 meters.  My wife came in the shack and said, there is somebody at the front door that wanted to talk to the contest person.  I got up and turned the pileup over to KH6DD and went to the front door expecting some neighbor to be complaining about TVI or something else.

Much to my surprise, it was Rush, W7RM.  He introduced himself and said he would like to hear what his stationed sounded like from the DX end as his crew was operating back home.  Of course I had heard of W7RM and worked him many times from my many various DX calls and most recently from Kure Island.  I invited Rush in and after a short while of listening around on the second receiver he jumped right in with us and spent the rest of the weekend operating.  This was the beginning of a long friendship and I visited with Rush many times after that.  A truly fine gentleman and enjoyed a 30 plus year friendship with him.  He was a great friend and I will miss him dearly.

73 Gary K7OX