[CQ-Contest] Rookie Class

Randy Johnson randyj at loan-wolf.com
Tue Mar 15 10:17:53 EST 2005

The CQ WPX contest is currently the only one that has a Rookie Class, one for those who have been licensed for less than 3 years. It seems to me that if we are all "concerned" about how to attract newer/younger hams to have heightened interest in what we do, what better way than to give them an opportunity to participate with others of similar skill set.

Certainly the thrill of participating is good, but adding a an opportunity for recognition would help. Being #3 in that class has a nicer cachet than being #47 in your state.

So why don't we add this class for the major contests? We also need to publicize this beyond telling the group that will be there anyway.  IN the WPX there were only a dozen or so partcipants, but it would sure be reaffirming to see 50!

Randy W6SJ