[CQ-Contest] Remembering the BEST TIMES at Multi-Multi Operat ions.....

Schulz Jonathan jonathan.schulz at siemens.com
Wed Mar 16 18:15:02 EST 2005

 N7OR  Craig Cook [mailto:craig.n7or at gmail.com] wrote:

"... It was better than anything I could ever afford, I still wonder what it
would be like to operate from somewhere like that. The days of encouraging
newcomers to join in were long gone by then, I'm guessing. Certainly they
are history now. Oh well. Memories.
N7OR"

I answered a post to this reflector by NQ4I looking for operators for CQWW
WPX at his M/M station last year, I was completely honest about my
contesting "resume" (semi serious contest operating since 2000, NO
experience in an M/M environment, never operating with anything more than a
tribander & wires), Rick was totally cool about it, indicating I could learn
on the fly and invited me down to his Ga station. Man I was intimidated by
the station, (still am a bit) stacks of aluminum that I had only seen in
magazines , multiple towers, big time radio in my eyes. Being a newbie I
kind of figured I would be assigned the task of spotting stations on 160
during the daytime, yet no such task was assigned to me, he was kind enough
to give me a shot on the 20M run position and I contributed to being the
winning USA M/M for the 'test. Must of done something right as I was invited
back for CQWW SSB and am going back again in a 9 days to try and repeat our
winning effort in for CQWW WPX phone. In fact I think he may still be in
need of another op.

Ironically I live less than 10 minutes from a very competitive M/M station
in the Midwest, but I travel 600 miles to operate from Rick's place as I've
never seen any requests for operators at any time up here. Pity as I'd like
to experience other BTR stations.

The opportunities still exist, keep your eyes open, be willing to take a
chance, ya just never know..

73
Jon
K9JS