[CQ-Contest] Remembering the BEST TIMES at Multi-Multi Operations.....

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Wed Mar 16 21:28:42 EST 2005

>In the late 1970's, Ted Gamlin, then K1VBL, assembled a monster station . . .
<

This brings back some fantastic memories. Back in the 70's as a teenager, I was
somehow able to position myself in the right place at the right time for
invitations to a few of the great multi's in the northeast. I had a great time
doing shifts to help out 'the big boys' at W2PV at K1OX multi-multi's. I
remember climbing a tower in a snowstorm in the middle of the night at PV's to
fix a low-band wire. Unfortunately, I never did get to operate at W1ZM, but I
have great memories of helping to install a full-size 40m yagi there - K1ZM up
on top - and then enjoying some freshly-grilled mooseburgers when the project
was over. We also had some great years doing multi-single at W1ZA. It was
various combinations of Duke Brown W1ZA, Stu Santelmann KC1F, Fred Hopengarten
K1VR, Ken Wolff K1EA and me - under the watchful eyes of master designers Fred
Collins W1FC and Dana Atchley W1CF. I'm very pleased to have station-master
W1ZA as a trusted advisor to my multi-single operation today. We also did some
great, fun multi's at the local schools - W1MX [MIT] and W1YK [WPI]. And to
this day, I won't forget one of my first multi contests from the home of a
local ham - Mark WA1LMJ - I don't even know if he's still licensed. It was just
the two of us sharing the mike on his HW-100 driving a TH3 at 60 feet. I'd just
upgraded to General and this was my dream station. We must have put 100 or so
QSOs on paper that weekend; we had a blast.

It's no wonder I've become a 'multi' addict now that I've got my own steel and
aluminum in the backyard. Big or small, multi's are great; they're not just
about equipment and operating, they're about people and teamwork.

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir