[CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?

Ed Parish K1EP k1ep at arrl.net
Thu Mar 17 10:45:08 EST 2005

At 3/16/2005 07:10 PM, Tree wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:27:26PM -0800, Ken Widelitz wrote:
>
>> In the 0000 and 0030 example, since there is only 29 minutes of off time -
>> it shouldn't count as an off time at all, since off times require a minimum
>> of 30 minutes.
>
>Technically true - but we have made the decision to count these as a valid
>break - but just for 29 minutes.  I call this "doing the right thing".

I agree with Tree that you have to do this because not everyone starts the contest at 0000Z or 2100Z.  If I start at 2115Z for SS, I shouldn't lose 15 minutes of my allocated 24 hour operating time.  The calculations (for the 24 hour limit) should be on operating time.  I think that the rules should state that off time that occurs between two operating periods must be at least 30 minutes, not just that off time must be at least 30 minutes.  The time at the beginning and at the end is not subject to the 30 minute rule.