[CQ-Contest] IRLP

Jim Haynie w5jbp at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 14:23:17 EST 2005

Well, we have never made it a secret that we must at least break even on the balance sheet. I do not however see how reporting a story would add a single nickel to the bottom line. There are a few news items on the ARRL web site today that are "not exactly" amateur radio, but nevertheless have some interest to amateurs.

73

Jim Haynie, W5JBP
President, ARRL

N7MAL <N7MAL at CITLINK.NET> wrote:
Let's back this train up a little. I would respectfully request from Mr. Haynie when you are going to spread fertilizer please give us advance warning so we don't get our feet all smelly.

First we must all remember the ARRL is a business entirely centered on the bottom line. Yes there are many good conscientious employees at the ARRL but they are often over-ridden by bottom line concerns. There have been many, many, discussions about that subject on this mailing list.
Secondly if you visit this link you will see in at least 2 places they are proud the ARRL, doing a feature story, has endorsed, no matter how limited, their 'contest'. http://www.qsl.net/vk3irl/  This limited endorsement will obviously lead to more subscribers leading to a bigger bottom line. IMHO IRLP contesting is a bad, very bad, idea and should have not received any credibility from the ARRL. I look, with great horror, into the future and I see IRLP becoming a Field Day catagory.

Lastly 'shack-on-a-belt' is neither an insult or degrading. The last time I was at Dayton was 73 or 74. The sales manager from Yaesu, Marv K2VIV, was promoting 'shack-on-a-belt' by walking around the entire weekend with a new digital 2 meter handheld wearing an outrageous, gaudy,  gold belt with the radio attached by a gold chain. There is nothing good or bad about them they are just another part of the hobby, just like DX'ers and contesters and ragchewers are part of the hobby. They have always been referred to as 'shack-on-a-belt'.

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm