[CQ-Contest] WPX band break-downs??

Russ Kaelberer-NØTA russkaelberer at msn.com
Fri Mar 18 15:47:54 EST 2005

Mike, WØMU, and I are trying to prepare a little for next weekend’s WPX SSB
test. We’ll be on from Mike’s new Montana QTH as WRØA. Anyone care to share
their band break-downs (preferably SSB)? A search of the web shows little
detailed info, even for the main CQWW event.

In addition, opinions on whether to run a M/S or M/2 would be interesting.
(Mike finished 9th as WØMU for SS SSB in November, so the station plays okay
stateside.) But as we have limited low-band antennas (station is 4el SteppIR
@ 65’, XM240 @78’, 75m vee at about 60’, R8 vertical for mults,) and we just
both want to have some fun for the weekend (and hopefully run a bit with the
KW station,) the rules seem to indicate that the “run” station has to stop,
while the mult station “operates,” under M/S. (10 minute rule.)

Would we have more fun just doing a MULTI-TWO? That way, both stations get
to take advantage of some 10-40 propagation (okay, maybe 20 AND 40.) Trying
to be optimistic!!! We are just a couple 38-47 year-old challenged guys,
trying to play radio for the weekend. Semi-Mature-contester repellant screen
on :-). Any opinions are welcome. And any rules clarifications would be
helpful, as we’re not WPX veterans.

Thanks and 73

Russ, NØTA