[CQ-Contest] CW keyer for QRQ?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed Mar 23 21:32:31 EST 2005

--On 2005-3-20 1:45 PM +0000 Barry  <w2up at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I currently use a CMOS Super Keyer III, which is limited to 60 WPM.
> I need a keyer that will do 70-80 WPM, and preferably is calibrated
> so you know what the speed is.  Anyone have any suggestions?

In theory you could use the morse(6) command on a FreeBSD box to key a
serial line to do this. There is no inherent upper limit in the keying
speed that I can think of, but it's been quite a while since I wrote
that code. The speed calibration is derived from the computers system
clock, so it should be bang-on. But again, read the code before taking
my word for it; I wrote that as a weekend project, not as a test
harness :-)

--lyndon