[CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Mar 28 08:43:32 EST 2005

VE3II writes:

> Dennis, 14.300 has, over the years, become the de facto emergency
> frequency on 20 meters.  Several marine radio manufacturers have
> now specified 14.300 as a marine emergency frequency and written
> it in the manuals for their new radios.

That's a problem for the manufacturers who recommend ILLEGAL
operation.  Non-Amateur stations have no right, under any
circumstances to use amateur frequencies.  The US Coast Guard,
other governments, and commercial ship-to-shore companies maintain
disaster watches on the appropriate frequency.

> Moving the net to 17 meters, or any other frequency, is not an
> option.  This would create a totally unacceptable and dangerous
> situation that would place lives in jeopardy.

Why not?  It's no more an education process than establishing
14.300.  If you don't start now, it will never happen.  Run part
of your daily/weekly schedule on 18.165.

> You speak of the uninformed contester, what about the uninformed
> mariner who "didn't get the email" that the net was going to move
> for the weekend?  What would happen if he has an emergency during
> a contest and comes to 14.300 for help and finds no one?  Unlike
> a contest, an emergency at sea is not a scheduled event.

That's why you run part of the net on 18.165 on a regular basis.
The mariner need only program another memory in his radio.

> In my opinion, the more prudent and responsible action is for the
> contest promoters, CQ and the ARRL, to amend the contest rules
> concerning frequencies of operation.

In my opinion, the illegal commercial operations should have been
shut down long ago.

> Over the past couple of years I have heard from both CQ and the
> ARRL about how they can't do this.  They both suggested that we
> move the net to a WARC band for the weekend, just like you did.

They're giving you good advice ... the "new" bands have been kept
contest free just for reasons like this and to give non-contesters
a place to escape from the QRM if they desire.

> They also suggested it would be impossible to enforce, just like
> you did.
>
> What I would like is a straight answer as to why this can't be
> done.  Is there a bigger picture that non-contest stations are
> not aware of?  Is there a bylaw in the CQ or ARRL constitution
> that prohibits this?  Or is the ARRL and CQ just afraid to do
> anything about it?

Neither ARRL nor CQ has a corps of "contest cops" and no reasonable
organization would consider the creation of such a corps.  The
only alternative would be to use unverified violation reports and
that would open a huge opportunity for abuse (want to get your
biggest competitor disqualified?  Just allege operation "out of
bounds.").

> Unless this issue is resolved, God help the sailor who runs into
> trouble at sea on a contest weekend and needs help.

If you're so concerned about interference, why don't you move to
14.347 or 18.165 on a regular basis - get as far away from other
activity activity as possible?

As a Canadian this may not apply to you ... but EVERY US amateur
signs a statement as part of his license application that acknowledges
no ownership of or right to operate on any specific frequency.  That
also implies there is no expectation of any "clear channel"  ... if
you want a clear channel QSY to the satellite phone.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK