[CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Mar 28 20:32:28 EST 2005

> K3BU at aol.com writes:
>
> While we have sympathy and consideration for emergencies and
> their traffic, demanding to keep "their" frequency clear is
> pushing it.

As I pointed out, every US amateur acknowledges that he has no
"right" to any specific frequency.  That applies to these so
called public service nets as well.

However, someone else pointed out to me in an off reflector
reply that this issue is really broader than contesters vs.
14.300.  Let's add the intentional interference TO contesters
from the children on 14.230 as well as the supporters of 14.300
and other "private" enclaves.  I don't know of any big signal
contest station who hasn't been chased up and down the band
by idiots playing back their own (or other big gun) CQs or
being subjected to random audio tones, white noise and other
intentional interference.

The litany against the armchair missionaries and pseudo-sailors
can be extended to the complete disregard they show for PSK and
RTTY operations between 14.068 and 14.099 (in addition to 40,
17, and 15 meters at least) when they fire up their WinLink boxes
to call some scanning MBO and retrieve their commercial e-mail
(yes, copy it sometime).  There is no "listen first" - nothing.
Try working a RTTY contest when one of the highspeed links comes
up ... or try chatting on PSK31 - you might as well give up
because nothing is going to stop that noise until every message
has been sent.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK