[CQ-Contest] Fw: re:NN2NN

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Mon Mar 28 23:00:29 EST 2005

I have enclosed a copy of an email I sent to Riley. I was very troubled about these non-amateur communications taking place on 14.300.
I was also, but did not mention to Riley, how offended I was that any real ham would even suggest he be granted exclusive access to any frequency. It has been suggested by many the WARC bands would be better suited to NN2NN's operation. But, even the WARC bands do not offer exclusive rights to a particular frequency for any group.
Yes we should all try to make accommodations but without exception every single time I have encroached on one of these 'holy' frequencies I get bombarded by "Get off my Frequency", "I use this frequency every day go somewhere else", I have yet ever in my, almost, 50 years as a ham, had anyone ask politely for me to move. It's always a confrontation especially when it comes to a contest.

If and when Riley responds I'll post it here immediately.

MAL           N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm

----- Original Message -----
From: N7MAL
To: FCCHAM
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:39
Subject: re:NN2NN

I have enclosed a recent posting on the contest mailing list. I am particularly concerned about this sentence ""Even non amatuer stations with emergencies have been assisted on 14.300 Mhz. "".
I have searched, high and low, through Part 97 and can find no authority for such operations. I do find prohibitions against non-amateur communications. While NN2NN's motives are commendable I believe his non-amateur operations are illegal. I believe any station, with any emergency, and a radio capable of operation on 14.300, could and should operate on frequencies allocated for just such emergency communications.
Thank you in advance.

MAL             N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm

NN2NN's ORIGINAL POSTING:

Dear Contesters,

I have been in many contests over the years. RTTY, CW and SSB. They have helped me sharpen my operating skills.
And they are fun!

I am now a Net Control Station for the Intercontinental Amatuer Traffic Net and the Maritime Mobile Service Network that operate on 14.300 MHz. We assist maritime mobile stations, deployed service personel, missionaries abroad and the general Amatuer Radio community pass emergency, medical and priority type traffic from about 1100 until 0200 UTC daily. Even non amatuer stations with emergencies have been assisted on 14.300 Mhz.

This posting is to ask you that the next time you operate in a SSB contest to please keep 14.300 MHz in mind when you are looking for a frequency to call CQ. This past weekend with good condx on 20 it was very difficult to pass any traffic.

Thanks for reading this email and hope you did well in the contest.

73,
Steve NN2NN

nn2nn at mmsn.org