[CQ-Contest] 14.300 MHz

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Mar 28 23:53:01 EST 2005

K4XS writes:

> Maybe I am being naive, but I don't see any problem with
> leaving 6 kHz free.

Bill, no sooner do you start carving out a 6 KHz hole (3 KHz
is enough if they had real receivers and knew how to use them)
and every crackpot group (including 14,230) will want their
own 10 KHz wide "clear channel."

20 meters is a shared resource and any group that does not
make efficient use of this international resource will get
run over.  If it isn't a US station getting a little too
close to that sacred frequency, it will be an XE or LU or
PY, or G or DL or I or YU or UA or a contester of some other
nationality looking for a place to call CQ Test on the band.

To paraphrase N2NL, who would be an expert in this field -
anybody who goes to sea with only a ham rig on 20 meters
is asking for trouble.

As one trained in public safety communications many years