[CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

Tom McAlee tom at klient.com
Wed Mar 30 09:59:59 EST 2005

> K0SR wrote:  Unless an emergency is declared by the appropriate
authorities it is not up to an individual amateur radio operator to decide,
on his own, that something is an emergency and begin non-amateur
communications

Last time I read the rules, anyone is allowed to use any means of
radiocommunication at their disposal when life or property is at risk and
other communication systems are not available.

Have I misinterpreted section 403 of part 97?  I see nothing about having to
wait for an offical to declare an emergency.

Tom, NI1N