[CQ-Contest] Real emergencies

Bob Naumann n5nj at gte.net
Wed Mar 30 15:08:46 EST 2005

First thing Mal, I did not "hammer" you either publicly, or privately.

I specifically decided to "take the high road" with my comment, and not point out how incredibly *wrong* you are with this from several perspectives.

The rule is the rule.

"? 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available."

The phrase "any means of radiocommunication" says it all.

In plain english, if someone tells you they have an emergency, you have an emergency.  Anything goes in the case of an emergency.

As one on the receiving end of the situation, you have no right to determine whether or not it's legit, or whether the guy has a cell phone he chooses to use or not.

I'd be more afraid of the guy suing me for not doing something to help.

Mal, you're just dead wrong on this one.  Sheesh.

73,
N5NJ

=====================
I have been hammered pretty well both publicly and privately by a great number of 'jail-house' lawyers. I would like to suggest, in the most positive manner, when you attempt to quote a rule, to make a point, you need to read all the words in the rule and not just the words that you like."? 97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
............when normal communication systems are not available."I have traveled extensively in the State of Ohio and there are many forms of "normal" communications available to motorists traveling the inter-state road system. Cell phone coverage is excellent, call-boxes are everywhere, every truck stop monitors CB trucker frequencies. As to the comment "following an arcane rule", Part 97 is neither secretive, mysterious, or out-dated. In fact it is fairly easy to understand, considering it was written by lawyers, and is up-dated as required. The chaos that exists today on 27 mhz and the reason there are truckers polluting 10 meters is because those people refuse to be bound rules and regulations. Amateur Radio is better than that, the rules governing Amateur Radio, and our ability to follow the rules, is what sets us apart and far above the 27mhz crowd.W3TX mentioned he had a similar incident. No he didn't his communication was legal, it was with another Amateur Radio station. W5KFT's incident was 100% illegal by every possible definition.
MAL           N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
  ----- Original Message -----   From:   Bob Naumann   To: cq-contest at contesting.com   Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005   13:32  Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real   emergencies

What Bryan reported that he did was right -   period.

Someone contacted him and stated it was an   emergency.

The FCC Rules Say:

"? 97.403 Safety of life and   protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by   an amateur station of any
means of radiocommunication at its disposal to   provide essential
communication
needs in connection with the immediate   safety of human life and immediate
protection of property when normal   communication systems are
not   available."

73.

N5NJ