[CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

Bob Naumann n5nj at gte.net
Thu May 12 13:53:29 EDT 2005

W1NR said:
>> The enforcement letter you link to was NOT for a multi-op.  It was a SINGLE OP by a tech using the extra call sign of the station.  Third party don't apply.  He was operating illegally out of band.  PERIOD.  The FCC/ARRL clarification that K1TTT posted shows that lower class licensees CAN operate and third party rules do not apply AS LONG AS THERE IS A DULY LICENSED OPERATOR SUPERVISING!  It appears there was no supervisor in this case.  You
cannot be a single op if there is someone else there helping you, licensed or not.
<<

I didn't see anything in this recent account that mentioned whether or not there was anyone else around.

I think that from my perspective the two circumstances should be the same, and I was very surprised at the ARRL's explanation.

I do not agree with Hennesey's interpretation of the rules.

97.115(a)(2) says:  This prohibition does not apply to a message for any third party who is eligible to be a control operator of the station.

Further:

? 97.105 Control operator duties.
(a) The control operator must ensure the immediate proper operation of the station, regardless of the type of control.
(b) A station may only be operated in the manner and to the extent permitted by the privileges authorized for the class of operator license held by the control operator.

At the time in question, the lower class licensee is not eligible to be the, or "a" control operator of that station because he is operating beyond the privileges of his license class.

If he cannot be the control operator, what is he?  A third party perhaps?

It would be so easy to clear this up.

73,
Bob N5NJ