[CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties

K3BU@aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue May 17 09:56:43 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/17/2005 8:20:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, n5nj at gte.net
writes:

>>In these cases - all "-N", there is no record of a QSO with you.  There is
also no record of a QSO with a callsign even close to yours that the other
station busted.
How would it be different if you were actually attempting to gain credit for
QSOs you didn't make?  Well, it would be the same.  You would list QSOs in
your log, and the station you claimed to have worked would not have your
callsign.  <<

No quarrel with checking procedure or identifying -N.
Knowing log checking process and 47 years of contesting I am not that stupid
to put some "wishful" QSOs or multipliers in the log, if I did not work them.
Especially not those that are high scorers and send their logs. Gimme a break!

>>How do you propose that the log checking process would be able to determine
the difference?<<

The only way I can see is do the recording, then when UBNs are available,
"appeal" the judgment, provide proof - recording to checkers, determine that the
other side did not log me and penalize them 12 QSOs (jus' emphasizing :-).

>>Again, your beef is with the stations who did not log you, not with the log
checking process or the penalty.<<

All I am saying that log checking process is fine, but 3 QSO penalty, is
perhaps at this stage and due to cases mentioned, unfair, unnecessary, silly,
outlived, not needed, etc.

Check with EY8MM revealed that it was perhaps pirate who worked few stations
on 40m. How can I prevent that?
Looking at AA3B/V26K UBN report appears that I am not alone who gets -N.

If the contest community feels this is right and just, then I am with you. In
my quest to be perfect, being penalized 3 QSOs for errors that largely I did
not cause, I feel is unfair.

73  Yuri, K3BU etc.