[CQ-Contest] Single versus Dual Lever Paddles

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue May 17 19:56:57 EDT 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 6:10 PM, Barry wrote:

> Perhaps it would be different with a modern, precision-made single
> lever paddle, but I'm not aware of one. I could be wrong, of course.

Around 25 years ago, when I was re-licensed as a General, I was
involved with the West Virginia Novice Net. There were two guys who
were often NCS, one was Dave, WD8LDY and the other was Steve, who I
think was WB8TDA. Dave was 100% blind, and Steve was legally blind.
These two guys were great CW operators.

Right after the WVNN would shut down, these guys would get on the
frequency and run 50 wpm or so. Back then, they used CW keyboards. It
made sense then, and certainly makes sense today. Why fight with a
paddle when you can use a keyboard?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901