[CQ-Contest] What to log?

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Wed May 18 10:08:35 EDT 2005

Hi Brett,

You said:
"Of 15423 raw W & VE calls, 17 are Ws in VE or vice versa.  Of the
7 VEs in W, all calls are correct.  Of the 10 Ws in VE, half of the calls
are incorrect (must be call/VE#, not VE#/call)."

Well, actually, it's perfectly valid to sign, for example, VE1/W1VE or
W1VE/VE1 (Not for me, since I hold a Canadian license also.)
The W1VE/VE1 is the generally accepted method and arrangement between the US
and Canada.  The VE1/W1VE form is the CEPT method.
The US still prefers VE1RM/W1, for example.   However, I bet the FCC would
not have a hissy if someone signed  the form W1/VE1RM (I might!).
In fact, I've heard lots of Canadians on the air from the US using the CEPT
form.

Therefore, these are all valid callsigns, and the contest software is smart
enough to know what country the station is actually in.

73,

Gerry, W1VE, VE1RM, VY2CDX, VE9XDX, VO1WIN

>From the rac website, http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm
"There is no need for paperwork or other formalities when exchanging visits
between Canada and the United States. Under the terms of the agreement, the
visitor should give his or her call sign and location, e.g. VE3FRS/W9 or
N9CFX/VE3. However, it is unlikely that anyone would complain if the form
VE3/N9CFX were used."