[CQ-Contest] Logger writers everywhere UNITE!

David Burger david.burger at usyd.edu.au
Mon May 23 02:17:42 EDT 2005

Hi all,

The UBN reports as they stand are quite usable as they stand.  When
using the Audit Query Language (used for merging PABX logs, Voice mail
logs and carrier billing data for telco fraud) and the older (and
simple) dBase3+  logger I use, writing a routine to import the ARRL UBN
reports would be around 4 or 5 train trips home in either language.  I
have not seen any other UBN reports from other contest organisers - but
there cannot be too many..

My antique dBase3+ logger was deliberately written to operate in native
Cabrillo (nearly as old as Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo), and has a few extra
fields for indexing and stats which don't get exported, so it would be
quite simple to add the UBN data..  from a non-US viewpoint, there are
just 2 variants of Cabrillo spec (fixed exchange and variable exchange)
, and my logger outputs a Cabrillo Log even for contests that have no
Cabrillo requirement.    Even with 2 or 3 UBN formats, it is still quite
possible to test and select.

The hardest thing is knowing what to actually report, but what springs
to mind would be an interesting 'wider' original log with UBN comments
tagged to affected QSO's..  It would need to be worth it, and
importantly have a clear idea of what you really want out of it... gee I
even gaffed K3LR as K3RL in 2004 :-{  some things are just so obvious
after the event..   I just find UBN reports depressing.

David Burger  VK2CZ / VK9XD