[CQ-Contest] DX Fiction Story from the 60 or 70s?

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Fri May 27 18:26:03 EDT 2005

Dr Beldar has reminded me of a similar type of article
that was published several years ago...and I think it
was in QST, but I cannot find it.  I will give a short
synopsis and see if anyone remembers the story...

Its about this father who go his son into ham radio.
The son got into DXing and over the years the father
added equipment,towers, helicopter etc, so the son
could work the new rare one.  Then the son had worked
all of them and wanted a new country that he alone
could work.  The father wrote a rubber check for a
ship loaded with concrete.  He sailed it off the coast
of Baja where is sunk it on a reef in international
waters.  The concrete set, he declared the "island" as
a countrie, waited for DXCC status, worked his son and
then .....  well I then cannot remember the ending.  I
think it had something to do with jail time.

It was very humorous for the time.  Does anyone
remember reading this story?

Lee - K0WA
"Still chuckling at Dr. Beldar"

Common sense is in short supply - get some and use it.
If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from
somebody that has some common sense. - Lee Buller