[CQ-Contest] Making the most of 40M SSB

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Nov 1 05:40:42 EST 2005

W9AC continued:

>>That means 20 kc of useable phone band in for many.
>>
>>No thank you.
>
>Then eliminate 40M from the CQWW SSB contest.  Interfering with the rest
>of the world's 40M communications is not the answer to the 20 kHz dilemma.

SSB below 7010 kc is a daily thing nowadays - doesn't need to be
CQ WW weekend & has been this way for a long time now.

Although obviously rather extreme during CQ WW, it's interesting
when the rest of the world that isn't shackled by mode restrictions
adapts itself to situation & the reaction to this from those with such
restrictions (whether it be USA or R1).

Maybe all contests should be banned from 40m, as there is also
the flip side to this - during CW contests, it's a bit hard to work
SSB on 40.

For now, member-states of ITU decided this is the way 40 will be.

Perhaps USA (as well as others) thinks geographical separation
is sufficient to keep us out of each other's hair, but I would imagine
anyone with practical experience with SW propagation to know
better.

As with amateurs, 41-42m band seems to be crucial for b'casters.
Two-thirds of ITU Regional world decided we only get 100 kc &
we still will not have full unified amateur service allocation
world-wide any time soon apparently thanks to some countries, so
please try to live with it - in much of R3 we have known nothing else
& as many countries don't abide by ITU-RR, we may never have a
40m band that we think we may eventually have.

73, VR2BrettGraham