[CQ-Contest] WW SSB (40M)

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 1 21:01:15 EST 2005

DX station need to get out of the US bands to be able to
focus on the more multiplier-dense Europe without the
additional "noise" of the loud USA stations. USA for rate;
everywhere else for multipliers.

> What gets me is how some of these U.S. stations keep yelling their last
> two over and over, sometimes covering up the DX when he is coming back
> to someone, then when the DX does come back, someone has to tell them
> the DX is calling them. A TANGO TANGO comes to mind.

I know that during ARRL DX SSB, we just ignore those who
use "last two". It's FAR more inefficient to answer them
rather than someone calling with a full call. It almost
always requires an extra interaction, since they almost
never give their full call with the exchange (too excited,
I guess, or they assume you should know instinctively who
they are), and you need to ask them and turn it back to
them.

Better to ignore them until they go away, unless they are
the only station calling. In that case, I select a made-up
prefix and add their "last two", and send the exchange.
They are usually certain to give their full call with the
exchange after that!

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND

Station Manager  PJ2T,