[CQ-Contest] Phonetics

Bob Naumann - W5OV W5OV at W5OV.com
Wed Nov 2 09:54:59 EST 2005

Eric,

Standardization is the key, and we don't need to re-invent the wheel here.

The ICAO phonetics are fine, and the reason you had trouble with using
"Golf" is because whoever you were working doesn't know the standard.

There's no reason that you can't use something different if you're having
trouble with getting the standard phonetic across due to QRM, QRN, QSB, etc.

None of them could be mistaken for any other phonetic - presuming you are
hearing well enough to know what is being said.

But please, let's continue to use the ICAO standard, and educate people what
the standard is.

73,

Bob W5OV

Reference: