[CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

Bill Parry BPARRY at RGV.RR.COM
Wed Nov 2 21:40:46 EST 2005

Mal,

I generally like to have some idea of the outcome before I make changes. We
don't have much real data about packet usage, and it's negative and positive
influences in various contests. We have a lot of anecdotal observations.
With anecdotal observations and some money you can buy some really
outstanding cancer cures on TV.  We do know that a lot of people use packet
within the rules of the contests because they report packet usage as part of
their entry. We have some fair evidence that some stations use packet and
report they do not, but we don't know the real extent. We don't know much
about the stations that don't actually enter the contest but use the
clusters for their own reasons.

The fact is, we don't know. I sure don't want to try to fix a problem when
we don't know the parameters of it. How will you know if the fix did any
good? More anecdotal evidence? Remember Joe Friday said, "Just the facts,
ma'am, just the facts."

The idea of contesting without a "crutch" is one that really strikes a cord
with me, too. You remember a few years ago, contesting looked very
different. We didn't use computers, we logged by hand. Those dupe sheets
were just awful, and I made a lot of sending errors. I would probably not
still be contesting if it weren't for CT. Contest logging programs have
improved my ability to contest tremendously. I used to run a transceiver
barefoot with a modest antenna. Now, I have an Alpha and 120' tower. I
certainly have an "unfair advantage" over someone with an equal amount of
skill but no computer, antennas and power. These are clearly "crutches".
They help me make a higher score than I would have made, otherwise. These
"crutches" are far more valuable to me than packet could ever be.

Finally, your prediction really proves my point. If the only accomplishment
of asking all the packet clusters to shut down during the contest, is to
harm the sponsors of the contest, what have we really accomplished?

Good luck in the CQWW, I've been thinking about operating LP but I am
definitely using my computer and tower! :-)

Bill, W5VX