[CQ-Contest] WW SSB on my mind

SGT Korey Chandler korey.chandler at us.army.mil
Thu Nov 3 00:43:46 EST 2005

The contest ops could have moved up 1kc and been polite. Too easy.

The Maritime Net is not a "check in and ragchew net". Sure, the net
control stations call for check-ins and keep the frequency "occupied". I
check into the net quite often when in the USA and have been on
frequency when a very weak station calls in with a dead engine on a ship
150 miles out in the Atlantic. I've also heard medical emergencies which
resulted in the Coast Guard coming on frequency with a doctor to give
advice on the situation.

Keeping 14.300 clear is the right and courteous thing to do. There are
ships out there with people whose lives may depend on it someday.

73,

Korey
YI9VCQ/KA5VCQ
Baghdad, Iraq