[CQ-Contest] WW SSB on my mind

Jimk8mr@aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 08:24:47 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/3/05 6:38:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
korey.chandler at us.army.mil writes:

The  Maritime Net is not a "check in and ragchew net". Sure, the net
control  stations call for check-ins and keep the frequency "occupied". I
check into  the net quite often when in the USA and have been on
frequency when a very  weak station calls in with a dead engine on a ship
150 miles out in the  Atlantic. I've also heard medical emergencies which
resulted in the Coast  Guard coming on frequency with a doctor to give
advice on the  situation.

I had a somewhat similar situation occur from K8AZ during this year's IARU
test.

Wanting to get some 20M SSB qsos, I found 14325 open and began a reasonable
run.  Maybe 10 minutes into the run a guy called in and politely told me  that
the Hurricane Watch Net would be starting up on frequency in about 45
minutes, at 2000z. There was a significant hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico at  the
time (Dennis?), so I told him no problem, they could have the frequency then
or sooner if they needed it. They weren't yet ready, so I stayed there and
continued to work guys in the contest.

A few minutes later HWN manager K5MP showed up, told me about the net,  and I
told him that I knew about it and would QSY whenever they wanted. He was
appreciative, and told me to keep going, which I did.

During the run there were a number of people who called in about the net,
some politely, some not. At one point K5MP even came on and told the folks to
cool it, that I was OK and not to hassle me.  Finally, right at 2000z, K5MP
called it to say the net was ready to go.  I told him to go right ahead, at
which time he spent several minutes thanking me for my cooperation.

After the contest I received an OO card from NP2B, the Virgin Islands  ARRL
Section Manager, for "Excellent operating procedure in keeping a clear
frequency for the Hurricane Watch Net, and relinquishing the frequency for the  net
when it was ready".

Perhaps the best thing for the Maritime Net during contest periods  would be
to station K3LR or KC1XX on 14300 keeping the frequency clear  for use in case
a true emergency occurred.

73  - Jim   K8MR