[CQ-Contest] WW SSB on my mind

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 08:49:41 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 23:43, SGT Korey Chandler wrote:
> The Maritime Net is not a "check in and ragchew net". Sure, the net
> control stations call for check-ins and keep the frequency "occupied". I
> check into the net quite often when in the USA and have been on
> frequency when a very weak station calls in with a dead engine on a ship
> 150 miles out in the Atlantic. I've also heard medical emergencies which
> resulted in the Coast Guard coming on frequency with a doctor to give
> advice on the situation.

IMHO the "legitimate" nets are victims of the "crying wolf" syndrome.
There are **so many** nets & skeds which believe they're more important
than any other use of the frequency that one simply *cannot* keep track
of all the places they "aren't supposed to go"...

Maybe if all the net & sked operators were to sit down and agree on two
nets that deserve protection, we could agree to protect them.

I think that's about as likely to happen as a resolution to the packet
debate.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66