[CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

Bob Naumann - W5OV w5ov at w5ov.com
Thu Nov 3 10:53:01 EST 2005

NN3W said:
>> Yes, and the fact of the matter is that the packet spotting most
likely has the effect of increasing overall participation - a benefit
to both the sponsor and to contest stations that are competitive.  <<

And earlier N7MAL said:
>> My prediction is the only loser will be the sponsor because a
majority of the scores will be down. <<

Curious.  You both think that higher activity levels or higher scores
driven by packet spots are a benefit to the sponsors?  This is a
puzzling conclusion.

No radio contest benefits any sponsor under any circumstances.  They
are a losing proposition no matter how you look at it.  The small
amount of publicity they may get likely does nothing positive.  The
contests cost a fortune to administer and yield no direct benefit to a
sponsor.  If the people who do most of the administrative work were to
be compensated, contests would no longer be sponsored.

73,
Bob Naumann - W5OV