[CQ-Contest] He sends my callsign

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Nov 8 07:46:55 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Steve wrote:

> A lot of my contest QSO's this past weekend went like this:
> 1. I send CQ SS
> 2. He sends his callsign
> 3. I send his callsign
> 4. I send exchange
> 5. He sends my callsign
> 6. He sends exchange
>
> What is the purpose of line 5?

It depends on the situation.  I was never able to get much of a run going
in the contest, but during the last few hours I found a space around 7038
where I called CQ.  There was a station up about 200 Hz from me and one
about 200 Hz down from me also CQing.  I heard a station come back to me
(I thought) on my frequency and I sent # 3 and 4 as above.  When I
listened, I heard him send #5 as above with another station's callsign.
The timing was just right and if he hadn't sent #5, I'd have logged him.

Maybe stations CQing in a clearer spot don't have that problem.

73, Zack W9SZ