[CQ-Contest] license classes in SS CW

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 8 23:47:28 EST 2005

I just ran a sample of my SS CW log through the fcc database to check
the license class. Out of 53 callsigns (every 25th call in the log),
there were 49 Extras, 1 Advanced, and 3 Generals. Fifty of anything is
usually a pretty good statistical sample. I stayed in the General band
for almost all of the contest.

I was curious as to the advisability of calling cq in the Extra
subband. On one hand, 93% is a lot of Extras. On the other hand, the
top scores are so closely grouped in that contest, that you would hate
to exclude 7% of the population. I think I'll stay above 025.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.