[CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?

Warren C. Stankiewicz nf1j at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 17:22:50 EST 2005

Kelly, VE4XT writes:

>It's still a legitimate skill worthy of reward and worthy of allowing an
operator to rise above the pack if he's able to do it.

> If an operator is good enough that while adhering to the
> single-transmission
> rule he can juggle two QSOs concurrently, that's a skill he should be
> proud
> of.

I think the problem is not with those who are adept at running SO2R. I think
the issues I have are with people who are not. Let's face it--it's an
acquired skill.

I encountered a number of people during SS CW who were clearly not adept;
and those who simply repeatedly cycled their F1 buttons while trying to work
someone on the other radio, only to eventually "get it" and come back to
their original run frequency.

I'd suggest that if you can't hold your run frequency while working someone
on the second radio, you might not be entitled to it. And if I was running a
big enough station (i.e., QRO instead of QRP, and with bigger and better
antennas), I'd be sorely tempted to swipe it.

SS is one of the supreme tests of operating skill. As such, I would like to
suggest  that it might not be the first place you'd want to test out your
SO2R skills (especially when the NAQP's are so good for this).

In addition, there are many out there who are hopping on the SO2R bandwagon
because it's the "next big thing". This is fine, if they want to spend that
much time and money. For me, most of the top contesters I know could still
wipe the floor with most of us just using one radio--and I'm going to have
to be a lot better in my operating skill with one before I try with two.

Putting SO2R ops in a separate category is just like packet operation--it
will only separate out the honest, not the dishonorable.

With malice towards none,

Warren, NF1J