[CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

Tom McAlee tom at klient.com
Fri Nov 11 17:36:43 EST 2005

There is always talk of how the contesting community is getting older and
how we need to attract more young people.  With most contesters being
somewhere between my father's age and my grandfather's age, I have
particular interest in this.  At the rate we are going, by the time I reach
the point I where I can have the station I'd like to have (student loans
paid off, house paid for, etc.) my hobby won't even exist.

We say we want to attract younger people, then propose changing things
because "we are all getting older and 48 hour contests are..."

Catering to the older people seems counter-productive to attracting younger
ones.

I know I can stay awake for 48 hours easier than many.  Let me keep the only
advantage I have :-)  The guys that have been doing this longer than I have
been alive can still beat my 48 hours in their 36 anyway.

73,
Tom, NI1N