[CQ-Contest] Competitor friendly contesting

DL8MBS prickler.schneider at t-online.de
Tue Nov 15 03:23:04 EST 2005

Hi,
with the goal to get as many participants and as happy as possible why
not compare to running events: surely they have the marathon as most
important category. But nearly all organizers add half-marathon, 10k and
perhaps a kid´s distance. The most important title will ever be the
marathon. But you also get more people involved on a more competetive
level with the other distances. Getting their feet wet and sooner or
later doing some big effort, too. And besides caring for us ALL getting
older who speaks about the big ham-population with kids and
family-obligations on weekends? Why say organizers ">40 hours or no
competetive all band entry" (forcing them into single band, guest at
Multi-OP, sprint-only-contests or to their own goals as interesting as
they may be will reduce the overall numer of QSOs in the contest). If
it´s all about competition why not add more competition also to those
squeezing in some hours here and there?
A simple start without categories and plaques etc could be adding the
hours of operation to the score list as in 3830. I never understood the
logic of  neglecting the op-time therein. I can´t feel as being better
than DF1xxx with my 300 small-signal-Qs in 20 hours compared to his 299
Qs in three hours... The possibiliy to add or negotiate more hours of
operation has nothing to do with radio-skills.
But all IMHO and the competition between the different contests may show
preferences over the years.
Best 73, Chris