[CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

sawyered@earthlink.net sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 15 15:18:33 EST 2005

It seems that we can never agree on this particular topic.  I also agree with the analogy of running.  I am a runner.  I run 5Ks primarily and have done a couple of 10Ks.  I have never done a half marathon or marathon.  Doubt that I ever will.  I also know that I will never come in the top 5 of my age group even for a 5K.  I usually end up in the middle of the pack.

To me, CQ WW is like the Boston or New York (pick your local big city) Marathon.  Should I tell the organizers that they should open up a 5K, 40 + category of it just because I know I will never "go the distance" in a marathon?  No.  They would rightly say "Run in something matched up with your level of ability and determination".

Likewise it is with contesting:  There are plenty of opportunities to score top 5 in a contest for people who can't do 40+ hours or don't have stacked monobancers.  Try the Russian contest, WAE, All Asia, from the US.  Our do your local QSO parties.  Or do other regional contests.  Many of these can be successfully "Top 5'd" in a category with a 36 hour effort or less and at least reasonable antennas.

Most of the arguments made for the "lesser" categories are really people saying "I will never get to top 5 in this contest".  Either settle on the realization that you won't (like I do in running) but keep improving your own score (also like I do in running), or, change things and do what it takes to win, or find a more suited contest that you have a chance of winning....and go for it...and win.  Or finally, just have fun with what you want to get out of it.

Please stop trying to change it for the rest of us.  I made the investment in my station to get better.  I made the investment in my operating skill to get better.  I made the investment in my health to go further in contests.  I learned about sleep and nutrition in a contest to go further in "on" time.  I get on the air to learn propagation from my QTH and with my antennas to know what to look for.  I did all of these things to "get better".  If it also means that I win something, great, if not, also okay (as long as feel I actually did better for myself).

Success is only "sweet" when you know that you have sacrificed something for the win.

Ed  N1UR (not many wins but a hell of a lot of personal bests.....)