[CQ-Contest] Live audio in CQWW

K6VVA dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Nov 21 18:31:23 EST 2005

Randy, K5ZD, asked:

 > Look forward to your comments.  And see you in CQ WW CW.

Forgive my tardiness in commenting about your Live Audio venue after the
initial run.

Personally, I think it is very COOL deal, and has educational value.  Quite
interesting to hear the LOUD European signals on the low bands from sitting
here in 6-Land :-)   I told a lot of locals about it, including some of my
"Recruits" I am trying to get into HF contesting from the local VHF/UHF
club crowd.

 > On a personal note, the audio streaming gave me a wonderful
 > opportunity to share ham radio contesting with my 15 year old son.
 > He has listened to me yelling into the microphone his whole life, but
 > we have never had the chance to share what is going on inside the
 > headphones.  Was fun to listen, tell him what country each callsign
 > represented, and then do play-by-play as various things happened.

At times it did seem a bit confusing with audio-only, and this may be
far-fetched, but what would be mega-cool is if you could interface text
description to the screen indicating Left-Right radio audio per radio.  It
might take some micro-switches & other widgets, but to have COLORED text
labels like RUN RADIO CQing, S&P RADIO Tuning, etc., etc., along with
graphics of a Left & Right radio would enhance the Educational value
involved.  If you could interface directly with the logging software, band
info, etc. could also be included.

Short of having an up-close-and-personal webcam, would would also be cool
is to have the QSO entry info from the logging software displayed on the
screen.

Just a few thoughts to chew on.  I'm using a similar "labeling" approach
with some of the video segments in our NCCC SO2R Clinic project editing to
hopefully be completed before Xmas.

73...

Rick, K6VVA